Wednesday, February 1, 2012


Home SWEET home!

I am home! Finally, I am home. I’ve always loved travelling, staying in hotels and being away from home. I think last night was the first time I felt like kissing the ground as I got off the plane, I was so happy to finally be hoooome.

The surgery was performed on Saturday in a small private hospital. The place was really nice and the staff was absolutely lovely. I came in about 8 am and left about 12 hours later, band in place. I wasn’t in too much pain, my shoulder felt a little strange and my midsection was sore but that was about it. And I was a little sore from being intubated during my surgery.

Cut to about 2 hours later when I couldn’t use my arm due to an invisible hot poker sticking into my shoulder and my stomach was sticking out, rock hard, with gas. It was at that point I started to ask myself what the hell I had done to myself, a question I have asked a million times in the past 3 days.

Since I’d had to travel for my surgery, I was staying for 3 days post-op in a hotel. Suffice to say, I was not in the nicest of hotels. Knowing what I know now, I would have splashed out on a really nice place for those three days. But my doctor had me convinced that I would be feeling super duper and be up to exploring the city after surgery – now, I’m not saying that that’s what he said, I’m saying that that’s what I HEARD. Not always the same thing!

So my hotel was pretty crummy. Hard bed, small tv, hardly any stations…  and no air. It became so stuffy in the room I regularly had to get dressed, go downstairs and walk outside just to get some air. I was getting splitting headaches from just a sheer lack of oxygen. I have NEVER been so happy to check out in my entire life!

Since the original travel plan had entailed train rides, connections, walking around the city and killing time for a few hours…  well, I vetoed that once I realized the pain I was in post surgery. So we got a rental car and just roamed around the countryside for awhile. It was pretty beautiful.

Then I shot up with blood thinners in an airport bathroom, hobbled through the airport, got on the plane and went home…

I already feel 1000x better just being here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment